LAST POSTS

7 Jan 2014

New Year's Resolutions: setting real and feasible objectives!

Now that we're starting a new year, and a new term, it's time to think of our New Year's Resolutions!!

One of the best ways -if not the only one- of achieving a long-term goal (getting fit, losing weight, taking up a hobby, learning a new language, etc.) is to divide it into short, real and feasible objectives.  

You can apply this to any area of your life, but here I give you a few examples to learn English. Take the ones that work for you, add new ones, and design a list of the things you intend to do with/in English every week.

  • Learn 10 new English words or phrases every day, Mondays to Fridays (repeat on Saturdays, relax on Sundays)
  • Unlearn one typical mistake before the next test/composition
  • Study 15 minutes every day
  • Read the lyrics of an English song every week and try to understand its main content
  • Read and try to understand one short English text every week
Stick to your plan, and you'll see incredible results in a few months. And with very little effort. Take my word :)

Ps: Feel free to post your suggestions in the comments below!
Pss: What other New Year's Resolutions do you have??

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Surfing the web I've bumped into this blog by casualty and I've just remembered that in 2012, a little bit before of the end of that year, I made, for the first time in my life, a New Year's Resolution to learn Shakspeare's language properly. Unfortunately, it was a complete failure and now, reading this post, I've just discovered why I failed. Simply, my New Year's Resolution wasn't divide into short, real and feasible objectives but, in contrast, there was a great objective impossible to achieve success on those days. I have no doubts that your New Year's Resolutions works and, in reality, I've realized that I don't have a choice, so I take your word :P


    Here they are my English New Year's Resolutions:
    one. Study English, at least, 45 minutes every day, except in Sundays and holidays
    2. Unlearn one typical mistake before the next test/composition
    3. Read the lyrics of an English song every week and try to understand its main content
    4. Unwrap and start to study a book about English pronunciation
    5. Watch and try to understand one or two BBC's Documentary every month
    6. Sign up for the social network Bussuu to overcome my lack of speaking skill
    7. Read a little bit Shakspeare's language books every day, even on Sundays and holidays till I'll be able to speak fluently in his jargon


    Last but not least, my other New Year's Resolutions:
    one. Losing weight
    2 Getting fit
    3. Learning another language
    4. Go shopping for some new clothes
    5. Be happy
    6. Take up a hobby that I've abandoned a few months ago.
    7. Pass the course in one go!


    But, in reality, all resolutions above, as almost anything in life, don't make sense whether I eventually cannot accomplish both worthy resolutions below:
    one. Get smarter
    2 Make happy these person who really worth!!

    Nice Blog! Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Thanks very much for your comment and for visiting the blog!

    I can see you've started the Year with renewed energy, since you have plenty of resolutions! I particularly like the one about unlearning one mistake before your next test/composition. Something that can help you to fulfill such objective is to keep a glossary of mistakes: every time you receive the corrections of a composition, write the mistakes on a separate piece of paper. When you write your next composition, you have to make sure that none of those mistakes appear again. I use it with my students and it works!

    ReplyDelete