LAST POSTS

22 Oct 2014

"Near" or "nearby"...?

Hi there!

Today I'm going to talk about the difference between the words near and nearby. Their meaning is very similar; the difference is how they are used in the sentence.

NEAR can be a preposition or an adverb. As a preposition, it is followed by a complement:
I live near the museumThere is a supermarket near here.

As an adverb, near appears at the end of the sentence:
near nearby
The next bus stop is quite near.

She's getting nervous because her wedding is very near!

NEARBY, on the contrary, is an adjective, and it can appear before and after a noun.

There is a nearby church.
The nearby town is famous for its wine.
There is a park nearby.


Nearby can also appear "alone", but it is still an adjective: the shop is nearby/very expensive. Or an adverb! I live nearby (= I live near here)


Finally, here I post a video of a teacher explaining all this (remember that you can activate the subtitles!):

No comments:

Post a Comment